Updated April 2014; originally published September 2012.
If you’ve been in search all your life for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, search no more. You’ve just found them. That sounds a bit braggy, but I can back that claim.
These super easy chocolate chip cookies are DELECTABLE. The secret ingredient is the brown sugar! Never use white sugar in your chocolate chip cookies again! Brown sugar makes the cookies crispy on the outside and soft (and basically awesome) on the inside. Just because they’re easy, doesn’t mean taste will suffer. This recipe is a household favorite!
2 cups self-rising flour (*gasp*)
1 and 2/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar (I have used dark brown in a pinch, and it works, but light is preferrable)
1 stick (113 grams) of room temp salted butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips (11-12 ounces)
1. Preheat Oven to 350 F
2. Cream butter until it begins to lose its color.
3. Add brown sugar, mix well, but don’t overmix.
4. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well, but don’t overmix.
Note: My original recipe said finish by hand – and since the batter is soft, it’s easy to do. But I have since used my mixer to finish the cookies and found that they work just as well.
5. Add flour in 2 parts, mixing on low after each addition. Don’t overmix.
7. Fold in chips (or mix them in on low for just a few seconds).
8. Drop by spoonfuls onto no-stick baking sheet and bake for about 11 minutes or until your desired level of doneness. I have made these cookies in every size, from polite little 1″ cookies all the way up to “embarrassingly big, but I still ate it.” We like to do a batch really soft and gooey, and then we like to do a batch a bit more brown and crispy. That way we have cookies for all our moods!
9. Pour milk. Prepare for trip to heaven.
These warm up beautifully in the microwave for about 13 seconds each for that “just baked” taste.